Tentacles (A/B Testing) is used by editors that are in charge of optimizing and editing the headlines of stories and videos. You can also see current views, clicks, and active tests on the overview pages as the homepage or some section as sports.
In Tentacles you can also sort the teasers (little text below the headline, someone calls them leads) by:
- urgent; show which teasers require an action as Do an A/B-test, Move up the teaser on the page or Move [a teaser from a section] to frontpage
- least performing; sort the ranking in descending order, based on the weight score of linkClicks and loyaltyClicks
- best performing; sort the ranking in ascending order, based on the weight score of linkClicks and loyaltyClicks
- testing; show which teasers are tested, or have been tested in the past hours.
Views, clicks and active tests
The dock of tentacles shows the teasers ranked in a order on which you sorted. On top of the dock it shows the amount of:
- Views; the amount of times the page -you're currently watching- is viewed in the past period*
- Clicks; the amount of times that teasers on the page -you're currently watching- are clicked on in the past period. This number is 0 when viewing pages other than overview pages, since it represents the number of clicks to articles from overview pages.
- Active tests; the amount of currently active A/B-tests on your entire website.
Colors in Tentacles
Tentacles have circle indicators that tell how the headline is performing. A red circle means that the headline is not performing well and needs action. If the circle is green, the headline is good.
The colors are related to how the teaser performed in the past minutes compared to how other teasers performed at that position at that time.
Sort and switch views
In the sort section where teasers are, you can also switch between actions and numbers. If you select the number option you will see how your articles are ranked on the homepage. In the example below, you will see number 6, which means that that article is ranked as the 6th best performing story on the homepage - based on link clicks and loyalty clicks. The ranking doesn't include traffic from social or organic referrers to the article, Tentacles only checks the clickthrough from the index page(s) with the loyalty.
Clicking on the colored circle will show you Clicks and Loyalty. Clicks show the number of times the article was opened from that index page and Loyalty shows the number of times the article was read for a minimum of 10 seconds, after the clickthrough. Loyalty numbers will therefore always be less than Clicks numbers.